Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Simple Southern Peach Cobbler

“Not like that,” my son replied when I told him that I wonder how to capture a good picture of peach cobbler. Open-mouthed smile Oh well, I was way more interested in diving in than snapping again… Besides, a rainy day isn’t the best day for lighting pictures inside my kitchen, I rationalized, but it’s an excellent day to bake and eat a cobbler… 

There’s something homey and cozy about cobblers, don’t you think?  I’ve made this year after year, but it has evolved and changed over time into the way that we like it best. 

There is a secret to it turning out good - using an extra large baking dish – which makes a BIG difference with this recipe.  The dish that I use is about 15-inch by 1o-inch, which really gives the crust room to become golden yumminess.

Simple Southern Peach Cobbler

1/2 cup butter or margarine

1 cup self-rising flour
1 cup sugar 
1 cup milk

2 –16 oz. packages frozen peaches
cinnamon (optional and amount to taste)
3/4 cups sugar

1. Melt butter and spread evenly into large baking dish; set aside. 

2. In a bowl, mix flour, 1 cup sugar, and milk, stirring or whisking  just until blended (batter will be slightly lumpy). Spoon batter over butter, but do not stir.

3. Layer frozen peaches (no need to thaw) evenly over top of butter and batter.  Do not stir.  Sprinkle peaches with cinnamon if desired, and 3/4 cup sugar.  (Be brave with the sugar - it looks like a lot as you put it on but frozen peaches will come out too tart if you skimp.)  No stirring here, either.

Bake at 350 degrees for an hour or so (my oven takes a little longer than an hour), aiming for crust that is lightly golden.   

*This can easily be a dairy free cobbler.  I use almond milk and Blue Bonnet Light margarine, which makes batter a little thinner so I add an extra TBS or two of flour.

*If you would like a double crust cobbler (although not necessary), you can make recipe just as written and then layer a prepared pie crust over top.  Dot with a little butter, and a sprinkling of cinnamon and sugar. (Pictured is without the pie crust.)

                   Signature

2 comments:

Jazzmin said...

This looks heavenly! What an amazing looking recipe, especially for summer. Peaches- fresh or in cobbler- are so sweet and wonderful!

Thankyou for sharing this recipe... I hope to try it out soon and especially when summer arrives :)

Have a blessed day!

Turnips 2 Tangerines said...

Looks wonderful! My daughter lives in Georgia and I am going to make this the next time I visit~ Have a Great week~ Lynn @ Turnips 2 Tangerines

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...