Thursday, July 12, 2012

Three Weddings and a Funeral

How is your summer going?  Down here in the deep south, it’s been hot, and the mosquitos swimming by is an indication of the humidity levels!  Thankfully, we recently have gotten lots of rain showers which has helped keep the temps down for a few days. 

As for the funeral, our dear uncle on my husband’s side passed away.  We’re missing him.  His jolly way, big smile, and easy laughter are always my first thoughts as I think of him.

Now to the good news!

We had three weddings to celebrate this June! 

I didn’t get many pictures of the first one, but the ceremony was traditional until the bride and groom walked down the aisle as husband and wife to the Star Wars Theme - quite amusing!  

DSC_4043

The second wedding had a fifties theme and the creativity was spectacular!  The church filled quickly and when seating was full, crowds lined the walls on both sides!  

DSC_4092

The drive to the lodge for the reception was equally packed!  Inside and out were lots of people and so much excitement hung in the air.  

DSC_4121

The detailed touches made me feel like I had stepped into a wedding scene in a old southern movie, even down to the classic coke bottles with paper striped straws which my oldest gal is enjoying in this picture.

DSC_4182

 Such fun!

The last wedding in June belonged to my daughter’s dear friend that is like a sister to her, and a daughter to me.  Our families are close, and we have watched our children grow up together over the years.   My daughter was a bridesmaid, and there was much excitement and lots of activities.

IMG_0672

Making decorations for the wedding reception

IMG_0677

(these turned out pretty hanging from the ceiling),

IMG_0314

the girls taking a road trip to shop for bridesmaids dresses, coming out empty handed, then finding something online as they refueled at McDonalds before the long drive home,

IMG_0293

my daughter and I on a quest for the perfect shoes to go with her dress (Incidentally, nothing brings bigger smiles to her sweet face than to take her shoe shopping!),

IMG_0612

the bridal shower,

IMG_0311

the rehearsal and rehearsal dinner,

IMG_0327 

the girls meeting for lunch and getting their nails done before the big day. . . all were happy memories in the making! 

The day arrived in no time, and

DSC_4504

getting all prettified in a Sunday School room, lunch in the room next door,

DSC_4461

the bouquets arriving,

DSC_4639

final adjustments to her gown which originally belonged to her devoted mother, excited voices humming. . .more memories. . . it was all so wonderful!  And then,

DSC_4730

the bride and her dad, walked arm and arm in this beautiful moment.  A dad that will one day hear “Well done my good and faithful servant” for being an amazing father, raising precious daughters in the Lord, along with his beloved wife.

He gave her away and then he got to perform the wedding ceremony as her pastor.

DSC_4748

The groom choked back tears of joy as he saw his beautiful bride walk down the aisle.

DSC_4795

This was their first kiss not only as husband and wife, but their first kiss ever!

DSC_4974

These two have had eyes for each other since they were eleven, and this day was exceptional in so many ways!

DSC_5202

Delight thyself also in the Lord: and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart.

Commit thy way unto the Lord; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass.”

Psalm 37: 4-5

DSC_5233

And He did! 

9 comments:

JES said...

What fun photos :) Thanks for sharing the special days.

Anonymous said...

Ah, I feel like I was there at the weddings - love both of them! So sorry about your Uncle but thankful you have wonderful memories of him, what a blessing. Thanks so much for sharing your summer with us. Hugs ~ Mary

Unknown said...

I am sorry for your heartache with the loss of your dear Uncle in law!

thank you for taking me along as a guest to the weddings!(at least that is how it felt) How fun!!! I love the pictures and I could actually feel the excitement!
Much love~Betsy

Pam said...

I'm so sorry about your uncle, Mrs. Smith. I loved the wedding details! Beautiful photos and touching words. (Thanks for your sweet comments at my blog about my family treasures, by the way!)

~katie~ said...

I thought I commented a few days ago, but I think maybe my computer crashed when I was leaving the comment and it didn't send? (It's been having trouble lately.) Anyway, if this is a duplicate, I apologize!

First of all, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. I'm praying for the Lord to comfort your family!

Second, I just love all the wedding fun you shared! That last wedding you mentioned ~ the purity, Christ-centered love ~ what a beautiful celebration. It brought tears to my eyes! Our pastor just preached a sermon this past Sunday on God's design for marriage, and my hubby and I have been praying recently for the future of our children (their future spouses, if the Lord wills it).

Such encouragement in this post!

Blessings to you, your family, and your blessed friends!
Katie

Little Birdie Blessings said...

What a beautiful beautiful post, I LOVE all your pictures here, but especially of your "daughters" wedding. What a special time for you to attend and participate in. I'm so happy for all of you. WOW, first kiss ever, what an amazing feat to accomplish. I'm sorry about your dear family member that passed. Thank you for sharing your heart on this beautiful blog. ~ Abby

Naomi said...

First, my sympathies to you and your family. Second, what beautiful captures you have the weddings you attended. Thank you for sharing at WJIM. I enjoy when you do.

Mrs.T said...

So sorry to hear about the passing of your uncle, Mrs. Smith, but so happy that you have wonderful memories of him!

The weddings were such fun to read about, particularly the last one. What a God-centered wedding, and what a blessed young couple to be starting out married life this way. Seeing all of the photos reminded me of the excitement and fun surrounding our daughters' weddings!

Sherri Gross said...

Love your blog!! And love you too!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...