Sunday, December 7, 2014

Listen to Old Time Radio


"Taint funny, McGee," my mom used to say, with her pretty dimpled smile after one of us kids would make a wise crack.  The other day I asked her if she knew where that phrase came from.  "It's just what I always heard mother say," she told me.  But I had the answer for her, only because I recently stumbled upon the old radio program that it originated from.  So I learned a fun little tidbit about my grandmother too  - she listened to Fibber McGee and Molly, way back when, which was so fitting, since she and my grandfather were nearly a comic act themselves because they had rather ridiculous personalities.

If you aren't familiar with the show, it's an entertaining little comedy about a husband and wife team, their antics, and a parade of visitors.  The couple was married in real life, and their show was on the air for numerous years during the Golden Age of Radio. The comical cast of characters brings the listener lots of giggles and cheer, and the nostalgic sounds are delightful!  The commercials are as much fun as the show to me!  Each episode has a music break, which even puts big grins on my teen and twenties kids' faces!  They're kinda fond of cheese, and it has a plentiful supply! 

Below are a few episodes to get you started if you are interested in giving it a try.  Some episodes are available on CD which makes for a good gift idea, too!  

So grab you cup of something warm and cozy, and wander back in time for a little while with

FIBBER MCGEE AND MOLLY:

   
  

You can find more HERE. 

3 comments:

Nancy Shuman said...

Just the sort of thing I've been looking for, to listen to while doing chores (like Christmas wrapping). Hooray - and thank you! I laughed at the very first words!

Antheia said...

Oh thank you! My father, born in 1933, just died a month ago, and this is bringing him back to me. His personality was shaped by these wonderful old radio shows, and he quoted them constantly. Now so do I, which is funny since I'm only thirty and no one else knows what the heck I'm on about. Thank you for sharing these gems, and have a happy Christmas!

Debbie Harris said...

Oh this was so fun I love it!
I will listen for sure. :-)
Thank you for sharing this with us.
Blessings to you, Debbie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...